87-year-old bailed in Happy Valley cemetery damage case
SingTao · 2 SOURCESabout 3 hours ago1 MIN

Summary
An 87-year-old retired man appeared in Eastern Magistrates’ Courts over an allegation that land at St Michael’s Catholic Cemetery in Happy Valley was damaged last month. The court adjourned the criminal damage case to October 26 and allowed the defendant to remain on bail.
Key Points
- Defendant Cho Yuen-sui, aged 87 and retired, was charged with one count of criminal damage and appeared in Eastern Magistrates’ Courts on Friday.
- The charge alleges that on July 24, he damaged land behind a grave at St Michael’s Catholic Cemetery on Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley.
- Prosecutors said the land involved belonged to the Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong, and the charge alleges no lawful excuse for the damage.
- The defence said it had received the defendant’s instructions only the previous day and sought an adjournment to obtain relevant documents.
- Principal Magistrate Cheung Chi-wai approved the adjournment to October 26, with bail set at HK$2,000 and a condition barring him from returning to the site.
Why It Matters
The next hearing will determine how the case proceeds after the defence reviews the documents and prepares its position. The bail condition also means the defendant must stay away from the cemetery site while the criminal damage charge remains before the court.