crime · HK01

Three Arrested Over Mong Kok Card Shop Scam

about 3 hours ago1 MIN
Three Arrested Over Mong Kok Card Shop Scam

Summary

Hong Kong police have arrested two local men and one foreign woman after a Mong Kok trading card shop allegedly accepted orders and payments for goods before closing down and becoming unreachable. The case involves a One Piece card retailer, and officers said 44 victims have been identified so far with combined losses of about HK$1.47 million.

Key Points

  • Police said reports began coming in from last Saturday, after customers who ordered through the physical shop or online could no longer contact the operator.
  • The shop was located at 608 Nathan Road in Mong Kok, and its related social media accounts were reportedly shut down after the closure.
  • Officers arrested a local man surnamed Lam, a local man surnamed Cheng, and a foreign woman aged between 42 and 50 on June 18.
  • Police seized some trading cards from Lam’s residence and believe the items are connected to the suspected deception case.
  • Victims each lost between HK$900 and HK$42,000, while the shop’s Facebook page had advertised One Piece card cases at HK$13,000 per carton.

Why It Matters

The case remains under investigation by the Mong Kok district crime squad, and police are urging anyone who bought from the shop or suspects they were deceived to file a report online or at any police station. Reports from buyers and online posts suggest the number of complainants could still rise as more local and overseas customers come forward.