Several Hurt in Sword Attack at Swedish High School
Crhk · 2 SOURCESabout 3 hours ago2 MIN

Summary
A sword attack at Brinellskolan high school in Fagersta, central Sweden, left several people injured on Thursday afternoon. Police detained a male suspect at the scene, and Swedish media reports cited by both outlets said officers may have shot him while bringing the incident under control.
Key Points
- The attack happened at Brinellskolan high school in Fagersta, a town in central Sweden, during the afternoon of August 21.
- Municipal authorities confirmed that several people were injured, and SingTao reported that some of the wounded were seriously hurt
- Police received the emergency call at 2:06 p.m., went to the school, and detained a man after the assault.
- Reports cited by both outlets said police may have opened fire to subdue the suspect, who was then taken into custody.
- The school has about 450 to 500 students, while many teachers and students sheltered inside classrooms until at least 3:45 p.m.
- Nearby schools and public buildings were locked down, with at least seven schools in the area reportedly activating emergency shelter measures.
- Swedish Television reporters at the scene saw police cars, ambulances and a police helicopter, as emergency teams sealed off the campus
- Police later said there was no longer any danger to the public after the suspect had been detained
Why It Matters
For Hong Kong readers with children studying overseas, the case is a reminder that school security incidents can escalate quickly and trigger wide-area lockdowns beyond the campus itself. It also shows how early casualty figures and details about police use of force can remain provisional in the first hours of a fast-moving attack.